Signs of Storm Damage to Roof
When it comes to inclement weather, it can severely impact our homes and roofs. While our roofing systems are built to withstand a lot, that doesn’t mean that they can’t be damaged during a severe storm. What is storm damage to roof? Storm damage to a roof is when things like wind, hail, and even heavy rain seriously impact your roof, leaving terrible damage in their wake. Even though a storm can do a lot of damages to roofs, sometimes it might not be obvious. Fortunately, there are ways to tell whether or not a roof needs storm damage roof repair. So, how do you know if your roof is damaged? There are a couple of ways to tell if your roof has been damaged by a storm.
- Missing Roofing: You can either tell by going onto your roof and seeing if there is missing roofing, or sometimes when the wind is severe enough, the roofing can be found in the front or backyard.
- Physical Damage: If the roofing system has been damaged by hail, then the surface of the roof can have physical damage such as broken roofing, bruising, and even dents.
- Roof Accessory Damage: There are other things on the roof that can be damaged that will require storm damage roof repair. These parts of the roof include flashing, vents, chimneys, and skylights, which can be cracked and dented.
- Gutter Damage: Other signs that you might have roof damage is when your gutter is dented or coming away from the roof.
- Home Exterior Damage: Your siding, fascia, soffit, windows, and doors can also be damaged when the storm is severe enough. If these areas become damaged, its a good indication that your roof is probably damaged.
- Car Damage: Are their dents on your car from a hail storm? Your roof most likely has hail damage, also.
- Fallen Trees: Have any of your trees fallen over due to a severe storm? Are there signs of power lines also taken out? Tree branches and even power lines can fall on top of the roof and cause severe damage.
How Can You Protect Your Home From Storm Damage?
Roof damage due to storm can prove to be devastating to homes and roofs, as storms can happen very quickly. While we don’t always have ample time to get ready for a storm, there are things that homeowners can do now to prepare their homes and roofs for storm damage. By preparing your home and roof for storms, you can prevent storm damage roof repair. Some things that a homeowner can do is clean their gutters to ensure water doesn’t overflow onto the roof, as well as fixing loose siding, sealing windows and doors, fixing loose fence material, and trim their trees back. All of these things can be damaged during a storm, so taking the time to make repairs will reduce the chance of severe damages. Other things you will want to do is get a generator if your power goes out, get a sump pump if you have rooms that are below ground level, and ensure you have proper water drainage. In terms of preparing your roof, you should call a roofer to repair or replace damaged or missing shingles. Getting a roofer to repair or replace parts of your roofing will guarantee that your roof can stand up to inclement weather.
What Do You Do After Storm Damage?
If your roof is damaged due to a storm, there are things that you must do after a storm. First, you will want to assess for damage. If you are uncomfortable doing this, you can wait until a roofer comes out; if you are comfortable getting on the roof, you can determine how severe the damage is. Take pictures so that you have evidence of roof damage. Next, you will want to call your insurance company to see if they can cover the cost of storm damage roof repair or replacement service. Lastly, you will want to find a roofer who can repair or replace your storm damaged roof.
Is Storm Damage Covered By Homeowners Insurance?
Storm Damage Claims
Storm damage to roof covered by insurance is something that we all want. It is important that you know what your policy covers so that you aren’t left shocked and surprised. However, most homeowners insurance will cover a wide range of storm damages. Some of the storm damage that can be covered by insurance are water damage, wind, hail, lightning, and even fallen trees. Again, you need to check if your specific policy covers these damages. Its important to note that the age of your roof plays a part in whether or not your insurance covers storm damage roof repair or replacement service. If you have a fairly new roof, like less than 10 years, then your insurance is more than likely going to cover the cost of damage. If the roof, however, is 20 years or more, they might not cover the cost or only give you money based on the worth of the roof.
Also, when one of their adjusters comes out, they have to be sure that the damage was caused by a storm. If they think the damage was caused due to lack of maintenance or repairs, they can deny your insurance claim. If you need a roofer for storm damage roof repair in Las Vegas, NV, call Ariat Roofing today! Just like you wouldn’t call an inexperienced roofer for commercial roofing, you don’t want to call a roofing contractor who doesn’t know how to repair storm-damaged roofs. If your tile roofing has storm damage or your asphalt shingle roof, we can help you. Give us a call at 702.208.4153 to make an appointment.